Tri-County Mall is a shopping mall located at the interchange of Ohio Route 747 and Interstate 275 in the city of Springdale, Ohio, a northern suburb of Cincinnati. It was one of the early regional shopping centers to be built in Metro Cincinnati. The 170 store "super regional" mall has over 1,300,000 square feet (121,000 m2) of leasable space. It is owned and managed by Developers Diversified Realty Corporation
The center was proposed in 1956 by Jeffrey Lazarus, who headed the Cincinnati-based Shillito's department store chain. Ground was broken for the 25 million dollar project in July 1959; the grand opening took place in October 1960. At the time, Tri-County was an open-air mall of fifty-two stores, anchored by Shillito's, and Cincinnati-based Pogue's. There was also an Kresge 5 & 10 store, and a Kroger supermarket.
The original Shillito's store went through several name changes since the store opened in 1960. The first was in 1982 when Shillito's combined with corporate sister store, Rike's, and was renamed Shillito-Rike's. Four years later store's name was changed again to Lazarus. In 2003, Lazarus' parent company started to phase out the Lazarus name. The store became Lazarus-Macy's that year before becoming Macy's one year later.
The other original anchor, Pogue's, was renamed L. S. Ayres in 1983. L. S. Ayres closed the store in 1988, and J.C. Penney moved in to the space soon afterwards. JCPenney closed their Tri-County location in 2005. The former site is being redeveloped as additional specialty store and restaurant space.
In 1998 the McAlpin's store became Dillard's. Sears is the only store in the mall that has retained its name identity since that store opened in 1969.
Current Anchor Stores
Dillard's (235,810 sq ft.)
Macy's (219,261 sq ft.)
Sears (285,480 sq ft.)