The Logan Valley Mall is a shopping mall in Altoona, PA. It has many sisters within the PREIT company.
The Logan Valley Mall was designed in 1960 as an open air shopping center with Sears and a few small shops. It wasn't until 1965 when a new store JCPenney (Penney's at the time) was constructed did the mall come together and have a roof constructed. In 1978, another expansion was completed by PREIT American. That is when another anchor was constructed (Hess's Department Store) and a two story addition was added between Penney's and Hess's. However, on December 16, 1994 a fire broke out and destroyed over half of the mall. A three phase plan was immediately laid out. The plans were as followed. The first phase, beginning in 1995 stared with a new store, Kaufmann's to be added. This replaced Hess's. The already built, undamaged two story portion of the mall was renovated. Renovations included changeovers, such as Wall To Wall Sound & Video to The Wall and temporary restaurants such as Wong's Wok. Another phase one project was to make a new two story portion of the mall where it was damaged by the fire. Phase two consisted of opening a new three story parking garage and a new eight screen Carmike Cinema. Finally, phase three had the openings of a new JCPenney location near Sears. Also, a new food court was opened leaving room for more stores in the old two story section. The last major store to open was a brand new Applebee's, taking out an ugly wall and opening a new window to see all the customers enjoying their food.
The mall has become the most visited shopping center in central Pennsylvania. It employs over 1500 people and they hope to see business get bigger and better.
J. C. Penney