Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza (BHCP) opened in November 1947 in Los Angeles, California as the Broadway-Crenshaw Center with 550,000 square feet (51,000 m²) and 13 acres (53,000 m2) of parking. Back in 1947 the mall was anchored by a Broadway department store, Woolworth variety store, and Von's supermarket.
BHCP also serves as a community center for the Baldwin Hills and Crenshaw communities and is the home of the annual Pan African Film and Arts Festival that attracts 200,000 visitors a year. The Pan African Film Festival is the largest in the United States featuring more than 150 films from the U.S., Africa, the Caribbean, South America, the South Pacific, Europe and Canada made by people of African descent.
The mall maintains its cultural roots with a Museum of African Art located on the third level of Macy’s.
On February 1, 2006 Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza was purchased by Capri Capital Partners of Chicago.