Tigné Point is an area in Sliema, Malta currently being thoroughly developed.
During the Great Siege of 1565, the Turkish privateer and Ottoman admiral Dragut ar-Rais stationed a number of cannons at Tigné Point in a siege to capture Fort St Elmo from the Knights of Malta. The extremity of the peninsula still bears his name, Dragut Point.
At the fringe end of the point is Fort Tigné, built in 1792 by the Knights, which is currently being restored as part of the redevelopment project. It became a centre of resistance and rebellion when Napoleon Bonaparte invaded the island in 1798.
During British rule a military barracks was constructed at Tigné. When the British forces left in 1979 after Malta became an independent republic, the barracks fell into decay and neglect.
The real estate development includes a mix of modern luxurious apartments, hi-tech offices, an aparthotel, a shopping complex, a cinema, an underground multi-story car park, a football pitch, and other state of the art health and leisure amenities. The whole area will be completely pedestrianized.