Redevco has opened a €90m building, anchored by retailers, on Alexanderplatz after it regained control of the previously expropriated site located at the food of the TV Tower.
ALEA 101 is located on the site of the first C&A store in Germany, which was originally opened during 1911. Construction of the 19000m² building commenced two years ago, after Redevco regained ownership of the location during 2008.
There is restaurant and retail space of 10000m² spread across the basement, ground, first and second floors of the building. Tenants, including Activ Schuh, TK Maxx and Vapiano, have rushed to secure space in the retail and restaurant section, with it now being fully occupied. La Cure Gourmande, the French candy store, opened its first German store in the ALEA 101. All the restaurants and stores have opened, other than the Olymp & Hades fashion store, which is set to open its doors on September 18.
There are high traffic amounts on Alexanderplatz, gained from shoppers and tourists, and its excellent public transport links.
The building was designed by the Berlin-based architectural firm, Sauberbruch Hutton. The two top floor offer 3200m² of office and rental apartment space, set around an inner courtyard. The office space and 14 apartments are currently being marketed by Redevco. It offers fantastic views of the Red Town Hall, Berlin Cathedral and Humboldt-Forum or Stadtschloss, which is being reconstructed in a bid to restore the historic exterior.
18 SEPTEMBER 2014, Germany
More about shopping malls in Germany