Oshawa Center marked completion of its much-awaited redevelopment and expansion with a weekend grand opening celebration.After three years of a makeover costing $230 million, the kick-start of the celebrations was the grand opening that took place on September 29. The mall, owned and managed by Ivanhoé Cambridge, played host to numerous dignitaries and shoppers including John Henry, the Mayor of Oshawa. In addition to a refreshed scenery and a long list of giveaways in stall, guests were treated to a fun mix of acrobats and live entertainment.
Facts about the Expansion and Redevelopment• Top to bottom redevelopment efforts covered 375,000 square feet, while 260,000 square feet was added to increase the entire surface area of Oshawa Center to 1.25 million square feet.
• Sixty new brands will set up shop, including giants like Adidas, Forever 21, and Lindt.
• Dining experience is redefined with the addition of a sophisticated food court that can seat 1,000 guests. Two full-service restaurants will serve the food court—Kesley’s (took in its first customer in August 2016) and Baxter’s Landing (looking to make its first sale in December 2016).
• Meet the new multi-functional “living wall.” It’s length is 153 meters. It primarily serves as a landscaping screen to the parking area and a sound barrier.
• Oshawa Center takes its environment-first commitment to a new level by installing a 260,000 square feet white expansion roof that helps decrease greenhouse gas emissions, air pollution associated with electricity production. Furthermore, the roof helps save as much as 40% in annual energy bill during warm summer months.
• Oshawa Center embraces the future by adding two electric vehicle-charging stations to the parking area.
• The parking area has been expanded with 250 underground parking spaces.
• Seamless traffic gets a boost with new bike lanes throughout the center.
• Recycling facilities have been improved.
• The floors, ceilings, and seating have received an exciting refresh for a glitz-filled, comfy, and remarkable shopping experience.
• The center now complements its Level 4 Platinum Certification from BOMA BEST (as confirmation of the breathtaking environmentally-friendly and sustainability efforts of Oshawa Center) with a LEED® Canada Core and Shell certification.
For the Senior Vice President of Retail Development at Ivanhoé Cambridge, David Baffa, the revamp and expansion is a conscious and hugely successful effort to “make the new Oshawa Center a destination that delivers everything you want at your doorstep.”
It is a goal shoppers will appreciate, especially with the influx of new stores and brands that broaden shopping choices. Just as important is the fact that the refresh followed an environmentally conscious template and expands the local workforce with over 700 new jobs.
The Oshawa Center ran three concurrent giveaway campaigns to celebrate the launch. The giveaways lasted throughout the weekend following the grand opening.
That was in addition to the copious amount of fun set up for visitors, including balloon artists; face painting; a live mural painting by Robert McLaughlin Gallery’s celebrated artist Joaquin Manay; and food stations.
Related shopping malls and stores:
7 OCTOBER 2016, Canada